The Junior Tennis Program will take place in 2020. Click here for Covid-19 related guidelines, requirements and rules.
The Junior Tennis program runs for eight weeks on our four private courts located at the Fisher Family Tennis Center. Any child that resides in the dwelling of an active Colony Club member may participate in the program. Special rates apply for participants with an active SBCC Family Tennis membership.
The Junior Tennis program is run by Steve Queenan, USPTA, SBCC’s head tennis professional, along with a staff of assistants, and offers these programs for all ages and skill levels:
- Special Events in 2020 will include the Tiny Gregg tennis tournament, scheduled the 7thweek of the season. Our traditional opening day Pizza Party will not be held in 2020 due to Covid-19 related restrictions.
- Pee Wee Hopefuls for ages 4 to 6, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion. An age-appropriate introduction to the game of tennis. Players in this clinic use lower compression red balls to learn the fundamental motor skills and basic techniques of the game. Parents are encouraged to help feed balls during match-play at the end of practice. Due to Covid-19 related restrictions and concerns for the health of these young participants and our staff, Pee Wee Hopefuls will not be offered in 2020.
- Junior Hopefuls for ages 7 & 8 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion. Includes an introduction to ground strokes, service and net play and instruction of game rules and strategy for beginners in preparation for B – Team Tennis, playing with orange ball from the 60ft court.
- Tennis For Beginners is being offered for the first time in 2020 for kids who are not ready for team tennis but are too old for Junior Hopefuls. These participants may be playing for the first time or may want to play with less experienced kids. This clinic is perfect for the “camp tennis” type kid. One clinic is offered to kids between the ages of 9 and 11 and a second clinic is offered to kids between the ages of 12 and 14.
- Team Tennis for ages 9 to 16 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion (for players who can serve from the baseline and return serve). Includes intra-club practice two days per week and weekly match play. In 2020, due to Covid-19, weekly intramural matches will replace the traditional weekly matches against other nearby clubs. The team is split into two groups, the “A-Team” and the “B-Team,” based both on age and ability at the Pro’s discretion, and Sagamore certainly has some talented kids! The “up or down” age has traditionally been 12 years old – meaning a strong 12 year old would play up or a developing 12 year old may play down. The B-Team competitions use either orange ball on a 60 ft court or green ball, full court. B-Team players need to be able to hold orange ball rallies and serve from the 60ft court with some consistency. A-Team players play full court, yellow ball.
- Private lessons are available by contacting Steve Queenan, USPTA directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 508-888-2827. Rates are $40/hour flat fee for either private or semi-private lessons. As a reminder, Steve is the only tennis pro authorized to use the Club’s tennis courts for tennis lesson