The Junior Tennis program runs for eight weeks on our four private courts located at the Fisher Family Tennis Center. Any child that resides in the dwelling of an active Colony Club member may participate in the program. Junior Tennis program rates are determined based on active SBCC Family Tennis membership.
The Junior Tennis program is run by Steve Queenan, USPTA, SBCC’s head tennis professional, along with a staff of assistants, and offers these programs for all ages and skill levels:
- Special Events include the Pizza Party season opener and the Tiny Gregg tennis tournament, scheduled the 7thweek of the season.
- Pee Wee Hopefuls for ages 4 to 6, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion. An age-appropriate introduction to the game of tennis. Players in this clinic use lower compression red balls to learn the fundamental motor skills and basic techniques of the game. Parents are encouraged to help feed balls during match-play at the end of practice.
- Junior Hopefuls for ages 7 & 8 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion. Includes an introduction to ground strokes, service and net play and instruction of game rules and strategy for beginners in preparation for B – Team Tennis, playing with orange ball from the 60ft court.
- Team Tennis for ages 9 to 16 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion (for players who can serve from the baseline and return serve). Includes intra-club practice two days per week and weekly match play against other nearby clubs. The team is split into two groups, the “A-Team” and the “B-Team,” based both on age and ability at the Pro’s discretion, and Sagamore certainly has some talented kids! The “up or down” age has traditionally been 12 years old – meaning a strong 12 year old would play up or a developing 12 year old may play down. The B-Team competitions use either orange ball on a 60 ft court or green ball, full court. B-Team players need to be able to hold orange ball rallies and serve from the 60ft court with some consistency. A-Team players play full court, yellow ball.
- Private lessons are available by contacting Steve Queenan, USPTA directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 508-888-2827. Rates are $40/hour flat fee for either private or semi-private lessons. As a reminder, Steve is the only tennis pro authorized to use the Club’s tennis courts for tennis lesson