The Junior Tennis program offers an eight-week season on our four private courts located at the Fisher Family Tennis Center. Any child that resides in the dwelling of a Colony Club member may participate in the program. Special rates apply for participants with an SBCC Family Tennis membership.
The Junior Tennis program is run by SBCC’s head tennis professional, along with a staff of assistants, and offers these programs for all ages and skill levels:
- Peewee tennis for ages 4 to 5 years old first timers to learn how to hold a racquet and learn basic tennis skills. Coach Katherine uses smaller nets, slower tennis balls, and focuses on hand eye coordination and fun rallies with the kids..
- Junior Hopefuls for ages 6 to 9 years old players who will focus on ground strokes, serves, and net play. They will also be introduced to game rules and strategies. For Camp age kids, this can immediately follow the camp day with parent permission to be arranged with the parent coordinator.
- Team Tennis for ages 9 to 16 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion (for players who can serve from the baseline and return serve). Includes intra-club practice two days per week and weekly match play against other neighboring junior tennis programs. The team is split into two groups, the “A- Team” and the “B-Team,” based both on age and ability at the Pro’s discretion. The “up or down” age has traditionally been 12 years old – meaning a strong 12 year old would play up or a developing 12 year old may play down. The B-Team competitions use either orange ball on a 60 ft court or green ball, full court. B-Team players need to be able to hold orange ball rallies and serve from the 60ft court with some consistency. A-Team players play full court, yellow ball.
- Private lessons are available by contacting the Pro directly for either private or semi-private lessons. As a reminder, the SBCC Pro is the only tennis pro authorized to use the Club’s tennis courts for tennis lesson.
- Special Events include the Tiny Gregg tennis tournament, scheduled the 7th week of the season, and our traditional opening day Pizza Party.