The Junior Tennis program offers pre-season clinics the last week in June and an eight week season on our four private courts located at the Fisher Family Tennis Center. Any child that resides in the dwelling of a Colony Club member may participate in the program. Special rates apply for participants with an SBCC Family Tennis membership.
The Junior Tennis program is run by SBCC’s head tennis professional, along with a staff of assistants, and offers these programs for all ages and skill levels:
- Special Events include the Tiny Gregg tennis tournament, scheduled the 7th week of the season, and our traditional opening day Pizza Party.
- Junior Hopefuls for ages 5 to 9 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion. Includes an introduction to ground strokes, service and net play and instruction of game rules and strategy for beginners in preparation for B-Team tennis, playing with orange ball from the 60ft court.
- Group Tennis 10+ for kids who do not wish to participate in team tennis. These participants may be playing for the first time or wish to continue to develop skills in a non-competitve environment. This clinic is perfect for the “camp tennis” type kid. The participants will be grouped by age. Clinic times will vary based on age group.
- Team Tennis for ages 9 to 16 years, or younger, at the Pro’s discretion (for players who can serve from the baseline and return serve). Includes intra-club practice two days per week and weekly match play. In 2020, due to Covid-19, weekly intramural matches will replace the traditional weekly matches against other nearby clubs. The team is split into two groups, the “A- Team” and the “B-Team,” based both on age and ability at the Pro’s discretion, and Sagamore certainly has some talented kids! The “up or down” age has traditionally been 12 years old – meaning a strong 12 year old would play up or a developing 12 year old may play down. The B-Team competitions use either orange ball on a 60 ft court or green ball, full court. B-Team players need to be able to hold orange ball rallies and serve from the 60ft court with some consistency. A-Team players play full court, yellow ball.
- Private lessons are available by contacting the Pro directly. Rates are $40/hour flat fee for either private or semi-private lessons. As a reminder, the SBCC Pro is the only tennis pro authorized to use the Club’s tennis courts for tennis lesson.